This afternoon we will have the inaugural act of the three days with which the Our Lady of the Antigua College Foundation wants to celebrate the 400th anniversary of the Consecration of the Church on August 4, 1619.
All our friends are invited to the opening ceremony, we have the presence of the highest authorities in Galicia and we will be lucky to listen to the team that has done the study for the BIC declaration of our building and its adjacent elements.
We wait for you all.
Do not forget, Friday 2, at 7:30 pm at the Colegio de Nª Sª de la Antigua
About to finish off the restoration of the rear of the Moure custody, until now covered with a reddish satin, we can be glad to have returned to the Moure altarpiece its first decoration.
At first, when the curtain covering the bottom was removed, a surface appeared in brown paper and glued to the wall. By some indications it was understood that under that paper there could be some apparently blue decoration. When the restorer D. Vania López removed the paper, a kind of sky appeared full of small stars. But this painted sky, still showed another more primitive decoration that we decided to return to light, since it is the original and first decoration, from the middle of the 17th century and that attaches importance to the whole of the altarpiece when returning it to its first design.
It has also taken advantage of the restoration and withdrawal of the walnut custody to introduce a piece of wood covering the irregular stones of the altar table and that forced the custody to be unduly resting all its weight.
Now with the new altar cover stability will be given to the whole.We add some photos of the process that, due to not having enough space to photograph, are almost always partial or semi-covered photos by the scaffolding, but they are enough to give testimony of a work about to finish off in favor of the jewel of D. Francisco de Moune in Monforte, that is the main altarpiece of the church.
According to what Father Esteban tells us in his book about the College of the Nª Sª de la Antigua, Pope Paulo V supported the construction of the School with a bull, he relates it like this:
In order to have funds to finish the works, the Count of Lemos asked Pope Paulo V commutation and reduction of the pious works left in testament by the Cardinal to the foundation of two hospitals for pilgrims and that, afterwards, all the goods they were used in “continuing the factory of said College until putting it in all perfection and according to the plant that the Cardinal said, without any other obligation, since all the other dispositions of said Lord Cardinal were understood as commuted in said pious works of the hospitals ” Pope Paul V granted this commutation with a special bull, issued on June 12, 1613, nono of his pontificate. Of these hospitals, at present, only the remains remain. They were on the “Camino de Santiago”, the first in Ligonde, municipality of Monterroso, province of Lugo; and the other in Leboreiro, parish of the municipality of Mellid, province of La Coruña. These hospitals seem to have had estates or properties, whose settlers paid some tribute or revenue to this College. According to the Archives document, on September 6, 1887, the Bishop of Lugo wrote to the Rector, Fr. Felipe Fernández, requesting, from the Civil Governor of La Coruña, a certified copy of the “founding document” of the Pilgrims’ Hospital “Instituted in Leboreiro, in the district of Mellid, by the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, who administered the PP. Escolapios of the Monforte de Lemos School “. The Rector answered, dated 27-X-1887 saying that, in the archive of this College, there was no such deed and that it should be in the General Archive of the House of Alba.
Today July 17, 2019, the opening of the BIC file of this magnificent building of the Colegio de Nuestra Señora de la Antigua has been published in the DOGA. Congratulating ourselves for this new step. we attach photo and link to said nº of the DOGA.
The Foundation Nª Sª de la Antigua School proposes the ex-students of our center, the Monfortinos and the entrepreneurs based in Monforte to join the Circle of Mecenas of our Foundation. In this circle, we especially invite people, companies and institutions linked to Monforte de Lemos to feel proud of the cultural heritage of the Villa de Lemos, specifically the one that brings the so-called “College of the Cardinal” and wish with their contribution to contribute their bit to its maintenance, improvement and diffusion.
Promote the link between society, especially Monfortina and Colegio Nª Sª de la Antigua. Through:
Conservation of “Colegio Nª Sª de la Antigua”, and improvement of facilities
Conserve and enlarge the collections.
Promotion of quality education of the College
Scholarships and support for students with financial difficulties
To collaborate with our Foundation through any of the following annual contributions:
Junior Collaboration ……… € 20 per year Senior Collaboration ………… € 50 per year Family Collaboration …… .. € 100 per year Protective Collaboration … € 250 per year Collaboration Maecenas … € 500 per year Special Collaboration ….. __ € yearly
Easily through the DONATE button of the general menu of this page. WEB
The members of our Circle of Patronage will receive an accreditation with which they can freely access with a companion to any guided visits to our center as many times as they want, in addition to other advantages specially designed for Companies.
Today they begin their pilgrimage along the Camino de Santiago de Invierno about 100 students of 3rd ESO from the Piarist schools of Santander, Oviedo, Villacarriedo, Monforte and Valencia.
Han escogido Monforte de Lemo They have chosen Monforte de Lemos as a starting point. At the same time, many more go on the French road and others for the Portuguese, with the intention of joining everyone in Santiago de Compostela. Cheers guys.
The Manager of the Foundation Our Lady of Antigua School (School PP. Escolapios)
Father Francisco Javier Agudo García Sch. P.
He is pleased to invite you to the commemorative act of the IV Centenary of the Consecration of the Church Our Lady of Antigua, which took place on August 4, 1619.
The inaugural act will take place next Friday, August 2, at
7:00 p.m. in the Hall of Acts of the school.
This act will begin with a round table with the intervention of Mr. Manuel Chaín Architect and Deputy Director General of Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Property of the Directorate General of Cultural Heritage and Rosana Guerra Pestonit, Dra. Architect, Luisa Serrano Garcìa. Architect and M. Dolores Lago Arce. Historian and Restorer, editors of the Documentary Study for the Declaration of Cultural Interest of the School of Our Lady of Antigua (Monforte de Lemos) and Marìa del Mar Bòveda Lòpez, titled in CC. of Education, Patrimonial Education specialist and in the value enhancement of Heritage. Responsible for the study of the social value of the College of Our Lady of Antigua (Monforte de Lemos)
In the text called “Brief relation of the festivities that the college of the Society of Jesus of Monforte made in the consecration of the new church …” The following is read when referring to the Church: “… it came out so perfect and finished in everything that in order to paint themselves outside, a particular relationship is needed and longer than that of the festivities that they made in their consecration. “
Without pretending to fill many pages in his description, Miguel Angel Feal Antelo, in his work on the College of Nª Sª de la Antigua describes the Church thus: “It is of the so-called Jesuit style, inspired by the Gesu of Rome, the mother church of the Jesuits. Its plant is a Latin cross with little developed arms. The central nave, measuring 33.80 x 9.25 meters, with a half-barrel vault, adorned with a profusion of caissons. On it open some windows to leave free space to the windows that give way to light. The height of this central nave is 20.80 meters.
The presbytery, rectangular in shape, is 9.25 meters wide and 6.20 meters deep, rising 0.75 meters above the pavement of the Church. The lateral naves, of 22.70 x 5.20 meters, with closed upper gallery and interconnected chapels, open to the central nave through three arches flanked by composite pilasters, with Corinthian capitals. On the cruise stands out a half-orange dome, topped with a beautiful lantern with six large windows. The height of the dome is 36 meters and its diameter is 10 meters. The church was completed by Simon de Monasterio in the year 1619.
The dome and the skylight or lantern suffered deterioration with the passage of time, and especially, because of the Lisbon earthquake of 1753. In 1786 the dome of the dome that threatened ruin was repaired, and in 1841 it was also repaired. cupulin
The same happens with the two towers, built by Simón de Monasterio, which stand at the two ends of the church’s head as if guarding the main chapel, and which are absorbed by the mass of the building. Its proportions must have been somewhat diminished with respect to the primitive traces. Of two bodies, with the second decreasing, divided by a balustrade that is repeated in the last body, separating it from the half orange that finishes them, they were imitated then incorporating them to the façade inside an Italianate type that served as model to all Galician seventeenth century. His model is the Valladolid and Escurialense, in which the round columns of the Renaissance were simplified daringly in pilasters or vertical strips. Its volumes, which are somewhat heavy here, are only broken by the single semicircular arch of their smooth faces, without the beautiful faces of recessed and protruding casetons of their prototype. “
It seems that Francisco de Moure began the altarpiece around 1625. When he died, an inventory of the pieces made was made in front of his testament, since the altarpiece was unfinished. This is the meaning of the text that we put below and that we collect from a study done by Fernando Pérez Rodríguez in “Cuadernos de estudios gallegos”:
-On the recognition made on July 19, 1639 it is necessary to highlight some sections that have not received the attention deserved so far. I am referring to those sculptural pieces, some finished and others in the execution phase, that were not seated in the altarpiece when our sculptor died, namely:
“Iten dos marcos con sus estípites y una cornixa y frontispicios y sus pirámides. Doce florones ocho grandes y los demás pequeños, siete pirámides. Ocho canecillos, ocho cartelas del cornisamento, dos términos que sobraron de pedestal de abajo del Retablo, una pilastra sin vasa ni capitel. Siete alas pequeñas y grandes para angeles. Un corazón, un obalo que se hacia para dentro de la Custodia. Un tronco comenzado a desabastar para los angeles de la Coronación de la Virgen nuestra Señora. Unos pedazos de nuebecillas, pedestalcillos, piezas sueltas. Una figura de Habraam y dos virtudes, y un niño de la pasión con su cruz»
In this regard it is interesting to investigate the fate of these pieces. In the case of some it is not difficult to guess, because the figure of Abraham and the two virtues are located in the custody, and the angels of the Coronation of the Virgin were finished and placed in their place. About who was the master of sculpture who made the pending work and, therefore, the completion of the third body and auction of the altarpiece there is no doubt as the experts certify that “despues de la muerte del dicho Francisco de Moure se gastaron algunos pedaços de madera que algunos estavan desbastados para la obra que el Padre Mato acavo de hazer»-
(The texts in Spanish are preserved because they are the originals of the documentation and are in old Castilian.)