Last January, after consultation by the FCNSdlA, the Head of the Royal House confirmed the old title of “Royal” to the Colegio de Nª Sª de la Antigua, PP. Piarists. Indeed, it was Carlos III who, after the expulsion of the Jesuits, assumed the college under royal protection under the name of -Royal Seminary-. Later, Fernando VII, in 1826, would change the name to “Royal College of Humanities”.
It should be noted that both references, given the scope of the Cardinal’s college, would refer to the Kingdom of Galicia up to then, which ceased to be so in practice in 1833 with the new political configuration of Spain.
For our institution it is a pride to be able to give continuity to a piece of the history of our center and of Monforte de Lemos.
Plaque at the school gate