Brief Summary of the activities that on the occasion of the celebration of the IV Centenary of the Consecration of the Church of the College of Our Lady of Antigua, -College PP. Escolapios- were held in Monforte on August 2, 3 and 4, 2019.
Friday 2nd of August
• 7:30 p.m. Round table,
The Historical Artistic Importance of the Building of Our Lady of Antigua and the Social Value of Heritage Assets.
Introduced and Modernized, Mª del Mar Bóveda López. CC researcher. of Education, expert in intervention and social revaluation of Heritage.
– Ms. Rosana Guerra Pestonit, Dr. Architect.
– Ms. Luisa Serrano García, Architect.
– Mª Dolores Lago Arce, Historian and Restorer.
Writers of the Documentary Study for the Declaration of Good of Cultural Interest of the College of Our Lady of Antigua (Monforte de Lemos).
– Mr. Manuel Mª Chaín Pérez, Architect. Deputy Director General of Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Property of the General Directorate of Cultural Heritage (Ministry of Culture and Tourism, Xunta de Galicia).
That led us wisely through the essential elements of a technical, artistic, constructive and referential nature of the Cardinal’s building, highlighting the uniqueness of many of them and their influence on Galician architecture. They showed masterfully, supported by some very illustrative images, the details of the history of the building, its modifications, its values that definitely endorse the building’s declaration as BIC
• 20:15 h. Official Inauguration of the IV Centenary conference.
Honored with the presence of Mr. Alberto Feijoo, President of the Autonomous Community of Galicia, Mr. President of the Diputación de Lugo who is also our Mayor, Mr. José Tomé Roca; Mr. Minister of Economy, Employment and Industry, Mr. Francisco Conde López; the Secretary of the Bureau of the Parliament of Galicia Ms. Raquel Arias Rodríguez; Mrs. Deputy of the Parliament of Galicia, Ms. Julia Rodríguez Barreira; the Director General of Cultural Heritage Carmen Martínez Insua; The General Director of Territorial Planning and Urban Planning, Mª Encarnación Rivas Díaz; the Rector of the PP. Escolapios de Galicia P: Eladio Rodríguez; the Manager of the Colegio de Nª Sª de la Antigua Foundation and Head of the PP College. Escolapios in Monforte; in addition to several mayors of the neighboring towns and how many monfortinos wanted to accompany us.
In this act, moderated by Mr. Pablo Blanco, Director of the PP School. Escolapios consecutively intervened Fr. Javier Agudo as manager of the Foundation that focused on the significance of the 400 years of the consecration of the Church, D. José Tomé Roca as President of the Provincial Council of Lugo and Mayor of Monforte de Lemos who spoke on the importance of Cardinal Rodrigo de Castro for the town of Monforte. Finally, Mr. Alberto Feijoo, President of the Autonomous Community of Galicia, who addressed some kind words to the College and Foundation, framed the act in its significance within the Ribeira Sacra and his will to preserve and give value to the heritage of the same for Enjoy future generations. Finally declaring the days of celebration of the IV Centenary open-
• 9:15 p.m. Concert in the Church of the School interpreted by the pianist Ernesto Maseda González and his wife Ana Gloria Peñate Puncet, who brilliantly and virtuously offered a varied concert of Latin American music on a piano and four hands, which surprised by its magnificent performance and colorful musical . All this in the environment of the church that, as is already known by all, offers a magnificent sound for music.
Saturday, August 3
• 11:00 h. – 12:30 h. Open day.
The Nª Sª de la Antigua School Foundation and the PP School. Escolapios offered the Villa de Monforte an open day so that those who wanted to can visit the monumental areas of the College, accompanied by the two guides of the Tourist Office as well as some teachers and a student who served as guides to visitors.
• 12:30 h. – 1:00 p.m. Lecture, The College of Monforte a Renaissance intuition of Cardinal Rodrigo de Castro. In charge of Father Francisco Javier Agudo, Foundation Manager.
Father Javier Agudo gave a lecture on the framework of the Renaissance and Cardinal Rodrigo de Castro setting the stage and actors for the great work written in stone of the Colegio de Nª Sª de la Antigua.
• 1:00 p.m. Concert in the Church of the College, performed by Mr. Manuel Randulfe Jácome, Director of the Professional Conservatory of Music “Adagio”. Due to an accident the day before, the announced concert had to be suspended due to force majeure, which was felt very much, wishing D. Manuel a speedy recovery.
Sunday, August 4
• 12:00 h. Celebration of the Eucharist in the Church of Nª Sª de la Antigua, which was presided by the Vicar of the Diocese D. Mario Vázquez Carballo, because Mr. Alfonso Carrasco Rouco, Bishop of Lugo, who had announced his presence, could not attend for a lumbar disease. The celebrant reviewed the significance of the act in connection with education, highlighting the figure of the Cardinal and of San José de Calasanz as founder of the first popular, Christian and free school in the world.
Here is this brief summary of the three-day activities in which we celebrated the IV centenary of the Church of the College and enjoyed the presence of many Monfortinos who shared with us the programmed events and the shouts of culture that we could offer.